One of the common illness usually referred as common cold is also known as nasopharyngitis, rhinopharyngitis and acute coryza. The name common cold seems to be accurate as it appears very commonly. Colds are the most common reason that children miss school and parents miss work. The common cold usually causes a runny nose, nasal congestion, and sneezing. You may also have a sore throat, fever, cough, headache, or other symptoms.
Well over 200 viruses are implicated in the cause of the common cold; the rhinoviruses are the most common. There are several reasons for common cold. Change in seasons, having bath instantly after getting up and exercise, getting wet in the rainy water and weak immune system are some of the causes. Most commonly it gets transmitted from person to person.
- Take more of vitamin C containing substances like Amalaki, papaya, citrus fruits etc.
- If there is cold with fever; take some hot water and mix little honey, ginger juice and a bit of baking powder into it before drinking. Drink it slowly and allow the body to sweat. While perspiring s/he should be safe from the wind.
- Crush the dried ginger and put into one liter water, mix some jaggery and cook it till it remains ¼. Sip it well.
- Take 3 grams of black pepper, 25 gram of jaggery and 5o gram of cord from cow milk. Grind the pepper and mix them well. Store it and take one gram every morning to reduce the effect of chronic cold.
- Take 7 cloves; boil it in 120 ml water till it is reduced to 30 ml. Take steam of it and drink it when it cools.
- Take some Tulsi leaves or pepper, boil with some jaggery and drink it.
- If guava fruit is fried with sand and then eaten it works wonder for removing the chronic cold.
- Grind and mix 100 grams of mustard seeds with 100 gram of turmeric powder with it and fry it in low heat. Then start taking 5-5 gram every morning and evening.
- Mix 30 gram of fennel seeds and 6 cloves in one liter of water and then boil it to the extent that only ¼ of the water remains. Now mix some sugar and have it.
- Fry a few of ajwain (Bishop's weed) and wrap it into a thin cloth, rub it on your palm and smell it from time to time which helps to relieve heaviness in the head.
- Take some ajwain and jaggery (four times more to the ajwain); then boil in a glass of water, when it comes to be ½ drink it and sleep with your body covered.
- Take steam every night before going to bed.
- Boil a liter of water with some salt, turmeric powder, salt, cumin seeds and tulsi leaves. Drink it every night before sleeping for two three days.
- Take half a kilo of spinach, 250 gram of turnips (along with leaves), 250 grams of tomatoes, 75 grams of coriander leaves and 25 grams of ginger. Cut them into small pieces and boil in about one liter of water in a cooker. Then sieve them through the thin muslin or other clothes. Add a little salt, some lime juice and roasted and ground cumin seed into it. And take it in cups after every two to three hours.